It’s the news that nobody’s been waiting for: The Wordict is being relaunched! After a temporary hiatus, The Wordict is back and better than ever. Along with the usual definitions of rare and uncommon words, The Wordict will be trialling new content in a full website relaunch (though we like to think of it as a metamorphosis, hence the butterfly). They – whoever they are – say change is as good as a holiday, and even though we’ve just returned from an extended one, we felt like it was a good time to unveil a new direction for the site. So as well as the definitions you’ve come to (not) depend on, The Wordict will also be expanding its focus and bringing you an array of new content and articles. We’ve also updated our look and adjusted our writing style, making it more more accessible as well as more engaging.
New regularly updated sections will include:
- Punctuation Graveyard – A showcase of rare, uncommon or peculiar punctuation marks that are no longer (or have never been) in use.
- Your Say – A post about a hot, word-related issue where the topic will be neutrally explored in the post and YOU get to have your say in the comments.
- The Last Word – An essay posted on the last day of every month on a topic related to words, punctuation, reading or writing.
- The Difference Between… – Takes two easily confusable words and shows how to differentiate between each and overcome the obstacles to using them correctly.
- The Dummy’s Guide to Using a… – A permanent fixture in progress, this part of the website will eventually develop into a full and comprehensive guide detailing how to use (and how not to use) the most common punctuation marks.
- News – A brief look into the latest word and punctuation related news in the media.
- Must-Have Items – Featured products and gift ideas for lovers of words and punctuation.
To accommodate this extra content, the site will no longer be providing readers with a daily word definition. While this might disappoint some, we’re sure most of you will love the new content as much as we’re going to love producing it, and with its introduction, this website is primed to become more than just a site where you can read about a word you’ll probably never use again; it will become a place where you’ll be able to interact, discover and learn. So get ready, folks! If you haven’t already, you can subscribe using the form on the right to be emailed when new content is added. Otherwise, keep your eye on this space to make sure you don’t miss out!
Coming up in May:
- The Interro-what?! – A fascinating look at an uncommon punctuation mark.
- Your Say – Is the semi-colon becoming extinct?
- The Last word – Why you shouldn’t judge a book by its cover.
- The Dummy’s Guide to Using a Semi-Colon – Learn how to use this often neglected mark, avoiding common pitfalls along the way.
- Faces in Online Places – The role of emoticons in modern language.